Sunday, March 13, 2011

Off to Sudbury Again Tomorrow

This has been a busy week again.  We travelled to Blind River Monday to see our family doctor and have an ultra-sound.  Mary had been fasting since Sunday evening for the ultra-sound which was to be Monday at 1245h.  We had our doctors appointment at 10am and then went to Tim Hortons.  I went in to get a coffee and when I returned Mary was eating an orange and some crackers left in the car.  It.didn't twig with me until we got to the hospital for the ultra-sound.  Then I asked Mary, "Aren't you fasting?", then it hit her as well and she said she must have just forgot and ate the orange.  Needless to say the tech would not do the ultra-sound so we had to book again for Wednesday.  Tuesday we went to Sault Ste. Marie and then back to Blind River on Wednesday.  Thursday we travelled to Sudbury for the surgery to implant a port in her chest.  I will let Mary tell you about that day.
This is Mary now! I have  been very unsettled about whether to do the chemo or not as I have been feeling so well and have lots of energy again! Why would I want to do something that would make me sick?? We had a frank discussion with our wonderful family doctor on Monday morning who listened to our fears and doubts  and encouraged us to make our own decision.  By Wednesday we were still unsure what to do, so I started praying specifically for an answer.  The weather report on Wed evening was not good- snow storm followed by freezing rain overnight. So I decided that if the roads were closed on Thursday morning, I would take that as a sign that we would not do the chemo! Roads were not closed on Thursday morning so off we went.  But the roads were slushy and slippery- so I decided that if we slid off the road and missed the appt., I would take that as a no to chemo. We arrived in Sudbury without incident.  Then the nurse told me that I was no longer on a surgery list. I was now on a wait and see list as some emergencies took precedence.  I decided that if I didn't get the port in, I would take that as a no to chemo.  Tim and I went sound asleep in the waiting room and then the fire alarm went off!! The doctor came in and got me and said as soon as the fire alarm went off she had 45 mins before her next surgery and she would do my port!  So I climbed up on the operating table and she did the surgery as soon as the alarm quit!! You would really think that I would quit putting out fleece but no!! Friday morning , I woke to the question again- should I do the chemo or not? Lord please give me peace about this. Probably a couple of hours later, a friend of ours who had been through breast cancer 4 years ago phoned and we talked for quite a while. She was such an encouragement and gave me lots of ideas about what to do during the treatments.  Best of all, she had the same type of cancer- HER2+ and had the follow-up treatment for the year.  She assured me that the year long treatment was not as bad as the first chemo treatments and that I would be okay!  It was an answer to prayer and I now feel ready to go ahead with this tomorrow.  I am not looking forward to it but I am ready to get on with it.

 Tim again.  On Saturday we moved into a little appartment here in Thessalon and got settled in.  It felt good to have a place of our own again and try to get ready for the chemo treatments.  It is a quiet basement apartment with two bedrooms.  Mary got a red sofa in the Soo on tuesday and it is the only furniture in the living room.  I am sure it will get a lot of use.

Please keep us in your prayers as we head to Sudbury tomorrow.  Thanks to all.  Tim

1 comment:

Ruth said...

We are praying for you. The road ahead for you seems daunting, I am sure, but the Lord will be with you. Trust any side effects from the chemo will be minimal.
Ruth and Steve Adams.