Tuesday, January 27, 2009

In Lusaka

The Adventure to Chitokoloki begins…

The trip has proved to be long,  with two night time flights.  Toronto to London was fine and we arrived in London about 7 am  looking forward to a 11 hour stay. We spent the time sleeping and wandering Heathrow airport.  It was quite busy and hard to find a place to relax.  We boarded the plane for Lusaka at 6pm and arrived in Lusaka at 620 am local time.  We found our bags  (thankfully they made the trip with us) cleared immigration and headed out of the airport.
« Thanks » the driver met us (yes his name is Thanks) and gave us a taxi ride to the guest house. We met Rodwell the guest house manager and he showed us to a very nice room.  We slept for two hours and then went into town to the Manda Hill Mall. We were able to get most of the things- food wise that Chitokoloki suggested. Returned home and put the meat in the freezer, had supper and it is almost nine and we are hoping to get to bed soon. It is hot- about 25'C and really sticky. Has rained a couple of times today but everything is green and growing. We met a couple from the Congo- 30 years and then a doctor who works at a mission hospital on the border of Zambia and Angola. He is coming to Chit to do some major surgery in a couple of weeks. He has me scared but that didn't take much. Edna the house keeper had nice meal of fish and chips for us for supper. We talked to John the doctor and John the pilot, then headed for bed about 9pm.  So tomorrow we are to take a taxi to a smaller airport and catch a flight out at 11:45. There is another man coming on the flight but hopefully we can bring all our stuff. The guest house is really nice- clean and comfortable and doesn't seem to be bugs. We started our malaria pills on Sunday and hopefully they will be working just in case. Spent  300,000 kwacha on taxis today and 588,000 at the grocery store!  Tomorrow begins my life wearing a dress all day! Oh well. If that is the worst, we will be fine! 

No comments: