Sunday, April 3, 2011
Beginning of April
It was a bit of a tearful week for Mary as on Tuesday and Wednesday she noticed her hair coming out in large clumps. On Thursday I did a bit of a barber job to even things out. She said that the hair loss was more traumatic than the mastectomy. I guess your hair is a visible thing and so much a part of your visage. For me hair loss is a slow gradual process. Mary says she thinks it is a pride thing. She was alway kind of proud of her full head of hair. She says the Lord must be teaching her something in this. Anyway our shampoo use will decline and I am glad the warm weather is coming.
We head to Sudbury tomorrow for treatment #2 and are praying things go well. They want us to stay at the Hospital at Daffodil Lodge overnight Monday. I am really glad about that as perhaps they can help with the vomiting. I am not looking forward to next week very much and I am sure Mary hopes things go better than last time. Thanks again for your prayers and kind notes.
Friday, March 25, 2011
Changing Residents
Life is a continual change.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
First Chemo Treatment
“Our new address is 153 Ontario St. Apt #1 P.O. Box 493 Thessalon, Ontario P0R 1H0
we are settling into "Normal" life- phones, internet, electricity, running water and bills!!
I feel claustrophic at times but hopefully will make the transition gracefully. This is our path at present and we want to be found faithful.”
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Off to Sudbury Again Tomorrow
This is Mary now! I have been very unsettled about whether to do the chemo or not as I have been feeling so well and have lots of energy again! Why would I want to do something that would make me sick?? We had a frank discussion with our wonderful family doctor on Monday morning who listened to our fears and doubts and encouraged us to make our own decision. By Wednesday we were still unsure what to do, so I started praying specifically for an answer. The weather report on Wed evening was not good- snow storm followed by freezing rain overnight. So I decided that if the roads were closed on Thursday morning, I would take that as a sign that we would not do the chemo! Roads were not closed on Thursday morning so off we went. But the roads were slushy and slippery- so I decided that if we slid off the road and missed the appt., I would take that as a no to chemo. We arrived in Sudbury without incident. Then the nurse told me that I was no longer on a surgery list. I was now on a wait and see list as some emergencies took precedence. I decided that if I didn't get the port in, I would take that as a no to chemo. Tim and I went sound asleep in the waiting room and then the fire alarm went off!! The doctor came in and got me and said as soon as the fire alarm went off she had 45 mins before her next surgery and she would do my port! So I climbed up on the operating table and she did the surgery as soon as the alarm quit!! You would really think that I would quit putting out fleece but no!! Friday morning , I woke to the question again- should I do the chemo or not? Lord please give me peace about this. Probably a couple of hours later, a friend of ours who had been through breast cancer 4 years ago phoned and we talked for quite a while. She was such an encouragement and gave me lots of ideas about what to do during the treatments. Best of all, she had the same type of cancer- HER2+ and had the follow-up treatment for the year. She assured me that the year long treatment was not as bad as the first chemo treatments and that I would be okay! It was an answer to prayer and I now feel ready to go ahead with this tomorrow. I am not looking forward to it but I am ready to get on with it.
Tim again. On Saturday we moved into a little appartment here in Thessalon and got settled in. It felt good to have a place of our own again and try to get ready for the chemo treatments. It is a quiet basement apartment with two bedrooms. Mary got a red sofa in the Soo on tuesday and it is the only furniture in the living room. I am sure it will get a lot of use.
Please keep us in your prayers as we head to Sudbury tomorrow. Thanks to all. Tim
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
March 1st Update on Mary
Basically the HER2 test is fairly new and not done routinely but tells the doctors a lot about the type of cancer and how aggressive it is. HER2+ is a gene that has more receptor sites than normal and is producing too many cells too rapidly. The doctor then explained that she would need chemo to kill the cells that had already spread throughout Mary's body. This chemo would start in 2 weeks and involve one treatment every 3 weeks for 18 weeks. We were kind of prepared for that as it had been mentioned previously as a possibility. But with the news of the HER2 gene it means an extra year of treatment after the initial chemo. The idea of another year of treatment is daunting! The plan is to surgically implant a port in Mary's upper chest so that the chemo can be injected as this would be over an extended time. Needless to say we were still overwhelmed by it all. There are so many unanswered questions and some fears. We have been on the internet researching recommended drugs, side effects, alternatives, coping with chemo etc. We are also in the process of finding an apartment in Thessalon to live in. The treatments will be in Sudbury but we plan to stay in Thessalon between treatments.
We are just waiting to talk to the surgeon about the intervenous port and a consult with our family doctor in Blind River. We are praying that the Lord will direct us on the right course of action and wisdom and courage. I hope we can maybe get away for a few days (maybe Ottawa or Toronto) before the chemo starts. We again would like to thank you all for prayers, notes, and concerns. We are negligent about replying to emails but hopefully will get a chance to talk with you. Thanks so much.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Appointment with the Surgeon Feb 16
Today we travelled to Sudbury for an update from Dr. Brule, the surgeon. We started off at 7 am for a 10:30 am appointment. Mary was looking forward to the meeting and finding out some particulars regarding the surgery and thanking the Doctor for her efforts. She seems to be a bit tired lately and slept on the way to Sudbury this morning. She has been healing well and is thankful for people praying for her.
The doctor had most of the results back from pathology, but was still waiting on one test. The first thing the doctor did was check for fluid build up and found some. She removed some fluid on both sides of Mary's chest. Then she got out the results of the surgery and some good news. She has a stage 1 cancer, her right breast had no sign of cancer and the lymph nodes were negative for cancer as well. It seems that the only concern is whether the cancer might have travelling in the blood. When the results of the other tests are back, we will meet with the oncologist to decide whether chemo is needed. Radiation will not be needed. Praise the Lord for these results.
The next step will be meeting with the oncologist. We have been referred to the cancer center and will likely have an appointment date soon. At that time we will meet with the oncologist and discuss the options and recommended treatment. Dr. Brule was very encouraging and happy with the results. We will see her again in the fall. The appointment lasted about 30 minutes and we were out. To celebrate the news I took Mary out for lunch at Pizza Hut. They had a buffet special. It was a nice mild day (+2) and so we had a nap in the car, went to Walmart and then home.
The surgeon gave Mary her reports and suggested that she look up the tests and what the results mean, so that we can be more knowledgable about predications and treatment when we see the oncologist. So she is sitting in the chair with her book but she keeps nodding off! It's been a long day but a good one. We are thankful for the good news and thankful for each of you who are concerned and interceding on our behalf.
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Mary is Doing Well
In any case things are healing well. She has two drains on each side of her chest and we have to empty them a couple of times a day. When the drainage is less than 25cc in a 24 hour period she will be able to get them removed. We are hoping that will be on friday.
We have been overwhelmed by the notes, letters, emails, flowers and prayers from so many people. Thank you so much for your encouragement and thoughts. Please continue to pray as we meet with the surgeon on Feb. 16th in Sudbury. Know that your prayers are effective and we are able to feel God's arms around us during these times.






